Saturday, February 6, 2016

Some Choice Rants

I'll add more later - and these are just a sample of some very good work that's been turned in - but here's a sample of some of what's been turned in so far:

A bit serious:

In so many aspects of our culture we obviously side with the “good guy” and cheer the mon against the antagonist. The ideas of superheroes, proud soldiers, even little clips showing maybe a child or animal with a disability defeating the odds and warming our hearts blasted allover public media. Why then, I find myself wondering, does it always seem like the antagonist is winning. The manipulator, the bully, the cheat, and the liar all seem to be alive and thriving in the world I see. It is like in the real world everyone loses the ability to see through the sales a stand sides with the stronger side. By nature the ones I know who are kind and giving almost always take a back seat to the selfish takers. Everywhere I look I see these selfish types not only surviving, but thriving. Living great lives, getting great jobs and promotions, cutting you off on the road and not getting pulled over, all with little or no resistance from others. My father was always my favorite debate partner and I loved that I was the only one who could work him into a passionate rant. In discussing some matters I would always be assumed as “the bleeding heart”and would end up arguing on the side of what’s best for everyone collectively assuming everyone is equal. I asked my father one time how he could not see certain situations as sticking up for the underdog to which he told me when he was young he was picked on, then he got big and felt the responsibility to take up for the ones still getting picked on. I commented that I rarely see that behavior anymore and asked what changed. He told me he got tired of fighting and they never learned to defend themselves.

Someone has a problem with their fellow millennials:

Something that “grinds my gears” beyond belief is this generation I’m stuck in. The one we like to call millennials. I can’t identify with almost anything that these people stand for. Their lives are so run by technology and living for the “likes” on their posts or photos. They’re so detached from the world. Emotions have gone out the window. It’s almost a crime to have feelings anymore, or instead of actually showing feelings to the person who deserves them, we post about them on Facebook or Instagram or Twitter and every other social media site we can think of. Whatever happened to telling or showing someone you loved or hated them face-to-face? I don’t understand.
These lovely people also, quite frankly, piss me off with their lack of work ethic. I grew up being taught that you have to work for what you needed and wanted. Now it’s supposed to be handed to you on a silver platter and then spoon fed to you. I’m not saying that everything should be outrageously expensive and unattainable for the lower classes, but I do think that people should be working harder towards what they want in life instead of sitting on their rear ends complaining how life isn’t fair. This is what happens when children get trophies for participating and parents intervene with consequences of their children’s decisions. I don’t want to be busting my butt just to support those who aren’t willing to do so because they’re simply too lazy. Kids need to be taught that life isn’t always going to be fair and not everyone is equal when it comes to money, but if you work hard you can get somewhere.
I’m tired of everything being so censored because we’re afraid we might offend someone. Get over yourself, put on your big girl panties, stop being so offended by everything, and move on with your life. This generation needs to learn that the world DOES NOT revolve around them. I don’t get why everyone is so offended by the smallest things, when in all reality, whatever was said or done probably had little to do with them in the first place. I really fear for the children who are being or are going to be raised by most millennials. I fear for what is happening and going to happen to our country.

Are you ready for college? It may have nothing to do with your high school (I might agree)
School systems don’t prepare their students for college. They treat them way to special and give them way too many opportunities to pass. For example, at my high school we were given three different opportunities to pass a test. We could either pass it the first time we took it, take a retest if we didn’t pass the first time, or if we failed twice do test corrections. What high schools aren’t letting students know s that college doesn’t work that way. That then makes college twice as hard as they thought because they weren’t properly prepared. Not only does effect students that go to college but also students that do not. In the real world people don’t let you fix your mistakes 2 or 3 times, usually its one big mess up and the next time you’re fired. It also doesn’t prepare them because it teaches them hard work doesn’t pay off and you can BS all your problems. This problem really needs to be addressed and fixed because if this continues to happen it will cause a lazier generation of students.

Everyone should wait table for at least a little while:

The restaurant I worked at recently decided to stop adding automatic gratuity to large parties. As a waitress this is extremely frustrating because that automatic gratuity is our protection. I say this because taking a big party like a 20 top means that we will get no other table for the rest of the night so our entire pay that day will come from only one table. On top of that our tip already gets cut in half since we have to split that party with another server since one can not efficiently serve a table of 20. So if these tables decide to not tip well, and leave 10$ dollars on a 500$ bill we servers essentially make nothing. I am saying this from experience because the last few months so many of my friends took parties with 20+ people, gave great service, and received tips that less then 10 %. Servers do not make minimum wage, we need those tips,and for some people being a server is their career, they cant afford days where they make nothing. All restaurants need to have automatic gratuity so that their workers are protected and rewarded for their hard work.

And this might be one of my all time favorites. You think you have to pointless things:

Every single day, except for days that we don’t have practice, I have to water dirt. Dirt doesn’t grow. I have to water the dirt to make sure that the dirt stays moist, when I live in a place where it doesn’t really rain and it gets scorching hot in the summer. I have to make sure that a dry substance stays moist and it doesn’t go bad. How does dirt even go bad. How does one ruin dirt. I also have to make sure that the dirt doesn’t get too wet when I water it. Watering dirt used to not bother me, back when I had basically a fire hose to do it with. The hose went bad, so now I do it with a garden hose. I have to walk halfway out and I have to make sure the water doesn’t blow back into me from the wind. I know this isn’t as bad as I make it out to be, but it is so monotonous and I’m tired of having to drive home in soaked clothes because the hose explodes and water shoots all over my face. I’m just tired of it.