Friday, September 24, 2010

I'm Back ...

I'm back in town after four days camping out in Colorado. I'll adjust eventually.

I'll begin grading last week's written assignments soon. Hopefully they will all be done by Sunday, just in time to begin grading this week's. My apologies for the delay.

The schedule for 2301 will stay the same. We will begin lecturing on the separated powers, the nature of the three institutions of government, and how the checks and balances are designed to keep these powers separate. This will continue our analysis of the principles embedded in the Constitution.

2302 will be a bit different. After spending the previous weeks looking at the evolution of legislative branches, the constitutional design of the U.S. and Texas legislatures, and how each institution has evolved over time, we will use this background as a way to constructively analyze recent legislative activity with a special focus on budgetary policymaking. In order to open things up, I'm going to cancel the assessment this week, but ask you to address -- probably -- three written questions related to current legislative issues. We'll go over these next week.

In the mean time I'll catch up on ongoing events and post items useful to our discussion.