Saturday, March 8, 2014

M2: First Weekly Written Assignment

As promised, here is the written assignment I want M2 students to turn in by next Thursday. I want you to tell me how you will approach the assigned topics for your 1000 word report. Also tell me a bit about what a critical essay is. I'm not asking for personal opinions about the subject. Instead, craft an objective approach to a narrow issue associated with it.

I'll respond to what you send me with advice.

GOVT 2305 M2:

The general subject you are to cover is the recently submitted 2015 U. S. budget. We cover the budget in a separate section in class, but for now I want you to become familiar with the document and the various issues associated with it. I'm asking you to start developing a specific topic for your critical essay. Make it something unique. I'll help develop your topic.

I'll post links to helpful material in later posts, but here are a few places you might want to go in order to make some sense of it:

- The President's Budget for Fiscal Year 2015.
- New York Times Topics: The Federal Budget.
- Wikipedia: United States Federal Budget.

Do your own research as well, let me know what you find. We will build on this over the semester.

GOVT 2306 M2:

Your task is to look through the analyses of the recently completed primary elections last week and determine the state of the two major parties in the state. As with the question for 2305, I want you to develop a narrow specific topic - a question perhaps - that digs into some aspect of the current parties.

I'll also provide a handful of links to stories that I think are useful, but do your own searches.

You can find links to past articles I flagged by clicking here or here.

I'll give feedback in order to let you know how you are doing.