Monday, November 18, 2019

Stupid questions 2305-01

The only thing confusing me the most in this class is the difference in the four I’S in the first chapter (individualism, institutions, ideas & interests) and the differences between; equal opportunity, equal outcome, economic equality, & American dream, especially when it came to the quizzes/tests.

Why are both Democrats and Republicans generally reluctant to decrease spending on Social Security?

How much is this essay worth for our grade ?

Why do people have to categorize presidents between republican and democrat and other parties? Why don't we just let people be who they are and vote for people with similar interests? I get that we categorize them based on their beliefs and interests but some people won't even give some candidates a chance just because they're a democrat or republican. I believe in hearing what people have to say before i just automatically exclude them because they are in a certain party.

Why are senators allowed to be in office for six years at a time and are able to hold the position for as long as they'd like if they keep getting re elected.

Why do we need due process?

This isn't really a question but one thing that is confusing me most is how everything in intertwined with each other and how it still all functions without falling apart. You would think with two different parties running Congress it would be more chaotic but they function pretty well for having to work together.

How much do you believe the government is lying to us? If they do lie to us, are they justified in doing so? It sounds a little conspiracy theorist of me to ask this, but I am definitely interested to see what you think about it.

In chapter 7, I have a little trouble with the censorship of the media. What exactly is restricted?

Do you own a pet?

Whats confusing to me is the difference between civil liberties, and civil rights.

Having trouble understanding civil liberties.

We've gone over a bit on how the majority can pose a threat to the rights of the minority and I was wondering. Is there a direct opposite to this described in government? One where a minority can pose a significant threat on that of the majority's privileges?

Why is the American system called a democratic-republic?

A series of laws known as the alien and sedition acts were passed and while I understand what they are designed to protect. How did they come about, what prompted them to come up with these laws to begin with?

The whole election process confuses me. My more specific question is how does the Electoral College work? Since I am at the age where I can vote, I want to learn about how the process works. However, I never paid too much attention to how our government and elections work. I find myself not wanting to vote because I do not know how it works, and I believe that it is important to practice the right to vote and speak my mind that so many men and women have fought and died for. However, to be more specific, I want to learn what the Electoral College is and how it works. My parents have tried to explain it to me, but I still do not understand it. I know that there is a popular vote and an electoral vote, and I know that one candidate can win with the popular vote and another candidate can win with the electoral vote, but that is the extent of my knowledge of the subject. I appreciate anything information you can share on this subject so that I can learn.

This may be a stupid question, and I genuinely hope not offensive to your teaching style, but why don’t we go over the material in our books or in our quizzes more often? I don’t feel like I benefit as much from reading articles online.

I am 16 years old, will i be able to vote in the upcoming election. How can if not how can I make a difference

what is government and how does it work?

How many sources do we have to have in the essay?