Friday, February 15, 2008

Tax Rebate Proposal Signed Into Law

It took about three weeks--very fast by congressional standards--but President Bush signed the Economic Stimulus Act into law yesterday.

The package will pay $600 to most individual taxpayers and $1,200 to married taxpayers filing joint returns, so long as they are below income caps of $75,000 for individuals and $150,000 for couples. There is also a $300 per child tax credit.

I'll be getting $1,800. I suppose that I am expected to spend it something--preferable an American made product. Since my kids are going to pay for this eventually I'm thinking about handing it over to them, but they'll just buy a bunch of Chinese made toys. Looks like a Vegas vacation!

Here's the full info about bill passage from Thomas.

Since I'm kicking around research ideas, how about a list of the fastest bills passed through Congress? What factors do they have in common? What impacts the speed of the legislative process?