Saturday, October 3, 2015

Kevin's most excellent election judge adventure

This'll be my fourth stint working the polls and the third as a precinct judge, which means that I'm in charge of the whole thing and if anything goes wrong, I'm the one that goes to jail. I'll be working precinct 20, which covers midtown and downtown. The polling location is an old church on Main Street about four blocks from the Continental Club, if you're familiar with those types of places.

Since all this fits within the subject of elections, especially the nuts and bolts aspect of it we cover in 2306, I'll drag you along with me so you can see how these things work. I'll back track later and provide details regarding how I was asked to do it again, and the range of my responsibilities as judge, and the many ways I could possibly break the law if I'm not careful. This morning I'm sitting in the gym at the Finnegan Park rec center in Houston's Fifth Ward with a couple hundred of my closest precinct judge friends ready to be trained    - or retrained - in election law. Special attention will be given to recent changed like the ongoing issues with the photo ID requirement. I really don't want to go to jail. 

It's a pretty diverse group this morning. Makes sense, since Houston is pretty diverse as well. Photos and commentary to follow.