Wednesday, June 18, 2014

From The Dish: America’s Trust Deficit

The Dish points to a story in 538 that argues that opinions about Obamacare are low due to the decreasing level of trust American hove to government - which almost always means the national government.

- Click here for the post.

Both links are worth reading, but I like it because it contains this great graph based on poll results from the American National Election Studies:

Trust America

The graph should be self explanatory. I posted it because it helps support one of my working theories about why the world works the way it does.

Everything changed in 1964.
Why? That was the year the Civil Rights Act was passed, and the next year the Voting Rights Act was passed. Suddenly the national government - and the state and local governments as well - had to respond to the needs of populations that had been previously excluded.

I have no proof - but I'll work on it one day.