Thursday, March 7, 2013

What The Shining has in common with the Wilson Administration and the early Federal Reserve Board


So I shut things down last might when the Shining came on TV and watched it from the beginning with the family. I had talked my boys into muttering "redrum" at school from time to time to freak their teacher out, so they were familiar with the movie and I figured this was as good a time as any to watch their first real horror movie.

If you've seen the movie you know what its all about and that it ends with a zoom-in shot of a photograph from a very fancy party at a swanky hotel taken in 1921. The kicker is that the Jack Nicholson character is in the photograph even though the movie was set around the late 1970s.

Very eerie.

Anyway, my boys and I were looking at some You Tubes that described how the movie was made and stumbled across one that described the original photograph that Nicholson's image was airbrushed into. The narrator discovered that the photograph included members of Woodrow Wilson's Administration and of the recently created Federal Reserve Board. I thought this was an interesting coincidence considering what I teach.

Here's a bio of one of the guys he mentions

- Benjamin Strong, Jr.