Monday, October 8, 2007

What is Federalism Anyway?

I try to be sympathetic about how difficult some concepts in government can be, but this ain't physics. My MW 2301 11am class was entirely too confused today about what the term "federalism" referred to. A simple definition shouldn't be that difficult to offer off the top of your head, but that might require reading the textbook.

Everyone has their own style in the classroom, but I tend to make adjustments based on what kind of feedback I get from students. If comments and questions are at a high level, I respond in kind. Stunned slack jawed silence when I ask a simple question tells me I need to toss slow underhand pitches a hope someone takes a swing at it.

Its no fun though. Neither is seeing this when I stare out at the class:


You can do better, I promise.

Aside from you textbook (and lectures I promise) you can read up more on federalism in the following sites:

- The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
- Wikipedia.
- The National Constitution Center.
- ThisNation.com.
- infoplease.com.
- an essay from the Cato Institute.

Maybe one of these will do trick for you.